Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Xiao La Jiao (Part II)

Something has to be done about the air-conditioning in 112 Katong. The other place I know that can rival the bitter winter winds of 112 Katong is Vivo City. It took some hot and spicy food from Xiao La Jiao to warm ourselves! (Click here for the first entry I wrote about Xiao La Jiao.) 

I like it when websites of restaurants are transparent, where they reflect both the menu and the prices. Here's the menu

We decided to get some noodles to share. The Pork Noodle Soup ($8) was pretty ordinary but good if you are just seeking something warm. 


The Dan Dan Noodles ($8) was also nothing exceptional.


The GeLeShan Style Chicken ($10.90) is deep fried chicken with spice seasoning. Eat it when it's still piping hot so that it is crispy. After a while, it becomes kind of hard after cooling off. But I like the spice seasoning and how the seasoning is salty at an acceptable level.


Sichuan Style Boiled Fish ($17.90) was something I had to order ever since I went to a restaurant in Boston that sold this. Soaked in chilli oil, this is a mean dish. Don't order this if you have a low tolerance for chilli. The fish slices were fresh.


The thinly-sliced Sichuan Pork Belly ($10.90) was very flavourful and had a wok taste to it.


The Claypot Eggplant ($9.80) was ordinary.


The Stir-fried French Beans ($8.50) had a very good bite to it, crunchy and juicy.


I don't really like baos so it doesn't come as a surprise that  I didn't really like the Sichuan Bun (4 pieces for $4.50, pro rated). They are pan fried buns with a layer of sesame below it with pork fillings. It comes with ginger shreds, as though it's xiaolongbao. The meat filling is juicy.


Besides the above, we also ordered Mapo Tofu ($9.80) which is really nothing to shout about. I don't eat frogs but the rest at the table said that the Griddle-cooked Tian Ji (Frog) ($16.90) was good. We also shared a plate of Stir-Fried rice with egg and crispy fish ($7.90). The fried rice was fragrant and the crispy fish added another dimension to the dish.

Here, when we asked for rice, they gave us Sweet Corn Steamed Rice ($1 per bowl). Didn't like it very much because the corn made the rice stick together. As dessert, we had Mixed Sugar Guokui ($5.90) which is a  traditional Chuan style sweet bread baked with brown sugar. It tastes like green bean paste buns.

Service by a particular waitress was exceptional. She was very friendly and even offered her jacket as we told her that it was very cold in the restaurant. While there are some hits and misses, the prices here are wallet friendly, and the quality of food is decent. Just make sure that if you can't take spice, check out beforehand which are the spicy dishes and which are not.

Xiao La Jiao 
112 Katong
112 East Coast Road
#03-05
Tel No: +65 6636 3736

2 comments:

Hi There,
I really enjoy your blog. Starting just seeing a food review (which honestly I'm so bored with all the food blog in Singapore), but then until I see you Trail. I think Trail is very innovative idea of yours!!!
I read all of your trails and spent all my free time in the office.
Now I'm officially a fan and will put your blog on my blogroll! =)
I'm planning to do the cityhall trail very soon and will update you how it turns out. =)
Keep making more trails!

Cheers!

hello!

thank you for your kind words! while i'm hoping to do more trails, i currently don't have the time. maybe you can plan some trails too, i promise it will be a fun process! thanks for dropping by anw :)

Post a Comment