Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Blue Ginger Restaurant

We finally succeeded on our third try in getting a seat in this restaurant. Moral of the story: If you want to eat here, place a reservation. I have heard so much about this award winning restaurant and wanted to see if it really served good Peranakan food. 


Kueh Pie Tee ($7) is one of my favourite Peranakan dishes. Who doesn't love these bite-sized deep-fried little cups of goodness? It might have been my imagination but it feels smaller than a normal pie tee cup. Nonetheless, a crunchy cup loaded with shredded bamboo shoots and turnips, topped with a piece of fresh prawn. One cup leaves you craving for more. 


Maybe I have cheap tastebuds but I didn't find the Otak Otak ($3.40 for 2 pieces) much better than those decent ones which you get at BBQs. The fishcake recipe is rich in flavour with a hint of spice but it didn't impress. 

 
I know many people who love their Ayam Buah Keluak ($17). Acquired taste I think.


The Nonya Fish Head Curry ($28.30) was so addictive that my friend was content to just have the curry with the rice. I found the fish slightly overcooked such that it was a little hard. It was fresh nonetheless.


The Sambal Sotong ($16.50) was a little salty but fine when it went with rice.


While I wouldn't say that the food blows me away, I think they serve above average Peranakan food. That said, I think I would visit Ivins soon. I haven't been there for some time and the thing I remember about it is that it served pretty good food at more affordable prices. Service here was disappointing as well.

The Blue Ginger Restaurant 
97 Tanjong Pagar Road
Tel No: 6 681 6666

0 comments:

Post a Comment