Sunday, August 6, 2017

9 places to get your birthday cakes

Probably two decades ago, whenever my family celebrated birthdays, the birthday cake was always the same, no matter which family member, year after year.

But nobody complained because this was our favourite cake - mango cake with a thick layer of sponge and generous slabs of mangoes neatly arranged on the cake, topped with a layer of jelly. The cake was home made by a lady who stayed around a 7 minute walk from where we stayed. Sadly, she passed away due to cancer and we never found another mango cake remotely close to those that she used to make.

Every time I have to buy a birthday cake, I have to think hard. Here is a compilation of my favourite cakes (and will be happy for suggestions too!).

1. Awfully Chocolate

The first time I tried Awfully Chocolate's cakes was when my university classmates celebrated my birthday. If you are one for good old fashioned chocolate cakes, Awfully Chocolate offers precisely that. The All Chocolate Cake ($34 for a 6 inch cake) is no-frills and moist.

Credit: Awfully Chocolate
I like their Chocolate Banana Cake ($36 for a 6 inch cake) as well- I mean it's moist upon moist! Bananas and chocolates are a match made in heaven and the sweet banana adds a kick to the otherwise bittersweet chocolate cake.


2. Chateraise

Chateraise, a Japanese bakery, is a new discovery.

I tried the Crispy Chocolate Cake ($40). Typical of Japanese cakes, the white chocolate fresh cream was light. Using good quality Belgium Couverture chocolate, this was a decadent chocolate cake topped with chocolate balls.


3. Four Leaves

Four Leaves is so common until sometimes, we forget that common bakeries can also produce good cakes.

Coco Exotic (21 cm X 17 cm for $38) is one of those cakes that no one can complain about (unless you really hate chocolate). The sponge cake is layered with light chocolate mousse and the best part is of course the crispy hazelnut flakes lining the bottom of the cake.


4. Windowsille pies

If you want a break from cakes, how about try some pies? This is an especially good option for young people who want to take capture instagrammable food pictures and just want to try a bit of every possible flavour.

For my birthday last year, I requested for the Assorted Pie ($70) which had 10 slices and I asked everybody to choose what flavour they wanted beforehand so you could be sure that no one would be getting what they don't like! My favourite flavours include the Strawberry Lemon and Sparkling Yuzu because they bring that sour tang to the pies.

Credit: Windowsille Pies 
5. Stuttgart Blackforest Boutique S-Cafe

My husband does not have much opinion about food. But, he swears by Stuttgart S-Cafe's Black Forest Cake ($125). We have never bought the whole cake because of the hefty price tag and will usually order one slice for two to share.

This Black Forest Cake is serious business. The cherries are not only abundant, but abundantly soaked in kirsch. This balances out the sweetness of the cake and is an absolute delight.

Credit: Stuttgart Blackforest Boutique S-Cafe
6. L'atelier Tiramisu 

L'atelier Tiramisu is my favourite tiramisu place in Singapore. I do not know how an authentic tiramisu tastes like. But the Classico ($30 for 500 gram) suits my tastebuds the best- the right proportion of mascarpone to lady fingers, the lady fingers thoroughly soaked in aromatic coffee and the bitter chocolate to top it off.

Credit: L'atelier 
They also offer other flavours such as lychee, matcha, dark cherry etc. but classico remains my favourite.

7. Pine Garden 

I have never heard of Pine Garden until family members started ordering huge cakes from Pine Garden for their kids' birthday celebrations. Pine Garden is one of those old school bakeries which has more than 32 years of history. If you are one for old school cakes with a twist, this is for you. Popular cakes include the Lychee Martini ($48 for 1 kg).

My favourite is the Orange Zest Chocolate ($48 for 1 kg) while my mum's favourite is the Pulut Hitam cake ($44 for 1 kg).
Credit:Credit: Pine Garden
8. Island Creamery 

Eating Swensens' ice cream cake used to be a real treat. However, after growing up, I realised that there's certainly more to ice cream cakes than Swensens. 

The Mudpie Cake ($48 for 8 inch) consists of layers of chocolate, cookies & cream and burnt caramel ice cream topped with Oreo cookie crumbs. If you are both a cake lover and ice cream lover, this is the perfect way to enjoy the best of both worlds. 


9. Cedele

I refused to try carrot cakes (the Western one, not chai tow kway) because carrots and cakes just sound really weird together. However, upon much cajoling, I tried Cedele's Carrot Walnut Cake ($52 for 8 inches) and could finally understand why people enjoy this cake.

I have to admit that I am still not a fan of the sweet cream cheese frosting but then again, I generally do not like frosting and cream cheese. The carrot cake, thankfully, tasted nothing like raw carrots. It is dense, moist, tasted of cinnamon and contained lots of walnuts and carrot shreds.

Credit: Cedele

0 comments:

Post a Comment