Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Singapore: Ang Ku Kueh

Ang Ku Kueh means Red Tortoise Cake. It's normally filled with ground peanut, red bean paste or green bean paste. The skin is made from glutinous rice flour. It is then placed on a banana leaf. It's a dish that is bought as breakfast, supper, or simply just as a snack. An auspicious snack (red in colour), its tortoise shape means longevity. (Plus it's cheap- around 60 cents a piece)

Well, to be honest, I'm not a big fan of angkukueh because I find that the glutinous rice flour can be a little too sticky, or that it is too oily. But I found some good ang ku kueh that day. It was not oily (despite its shiny surface), and the thin layer of skin didn't stick to my teeth and it was chewy. Plus there was plenty of ground peanut filling!

The best place to get your ang ku kueh is Ji Xiang Ang Ku Kueh. This is the store that made me change my mind about ang ku kueh!


Rating: 4.5/5

Ji Xiang Traditional Ang Ku Kueh
Blk 1, Everton Park, #01-33
Singapore 081001
Ji Xiang

3 comments:

Eh my mom read your reviews and she was v entertained! You've got yourself another reader I think :D

I love these. Need to go back to Singapore and get some :)

I love them too, as long as they are not too oily! Welcome back to the sunny island anytime! :)

Post a Comment