Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sandrine's (Boston)

Given a choice, I would rather be eating, reading, watching movies, listening to music, cooking and attending random exhibitions. Unfortunately, in life, you can't have your cake and eat it too. And so, here I have to be, content with occasionally looking through photos taken once upon a time. Then, I think, "Oh goodness, I must have had the appetite of a cow!"

I bought the groupon for Sandrine's and it proved to be a great choice. The thing about Groupon is that you get to try food at a much cheaper price than they usually are. (But obviously, keep your eyes peeled and read your terms and conditions- valid till when, not valid on weekends etc.)

Sandrine's was one of those places that we would never have visited if we didn't have any form of discount.

The atmosphere was marvellous. The elderly server led us to a table right at the corner of the restaurant and said cheekily along the lines of us being able to enjoy the privacy better.

Anyway, we were first given some bread which obviously was warm and crusty. As usual, I have no clue what French food is like, except what is depicted on TV. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it always exudes a particular air of delicateness, even to the point of being regal. But all that side-tracking doesn't matter. Because ultimately, it's the taste that matters.

We ordered enough to chalk up $40. We ordered a salad which was nothing out of the ordinary.


For entrees, we had the Organic Roasted Herbes de Provence Half Chicken, which is essentially chicken. The chicken was roasted well and was a rather big portion. But somehow, it was missing the delicate touch. It was like "Here's Chicken, Here's Mash Potato. Say Hi." The mash potato was buttery, and the chicken was juicy.

Our dessert was the Chocolate Kougelhopf (now, how I pronounce that?). Well, I think I would be really insulting it if I dare compare it to the Chocolate Lava Cake that I made. But just as you wouldn't pay $5 for a chocolate lava cake I made, you similarly wouldn't want to pay $9 for this cake. It was good, but all that chocolate really doesn't add up to so much.


This place is a little overpriced. You're paying for the good ambience and attentive service. The food was good, but not over-the-top good.

8 Holyoke St
Cambridge, MA 02138
Tel: 617 497 5300

0 comments:

Post a Comment