Monday, May 21, 2012

Tampopo Restaurant (Takashimaya)

I have heard about Tampopo quite a bit. Whenever somebody asks, "Where's the best ramen in Singapore?" Tampopo would be inevitably be one of the names raised. There are two branches- one at Liang Court and the other at Takashimaya. 


There was no queue when we arrived at 630 pm. 


It's easy to tell how I'm short sighted. I was planning to have the Tonkatsu Ramen because reviews said that it was very good! But my eyes got diverted to the words that said "Voted Singapore's No.1 Ramen". In the end I ordered the Tampopo Black Pig Shabu Ramen. Talk about powerful advertising.







The Tampopo Black Pig Shabu Ramen ($14.30) came in different versions. There was the deluxe version  ($16.30) that came with an egg and sweet corn. There is also the double meat portion ($15.80). Although it looks like there are a lot of chilli flakes in it, don't be deceived by its menacing appearance. As the waitress said, it was very mild chilli. Those chilli eaters at our table sprinkled more chilli liberally. 

I loved the pork because it was very chewy and had just a thin layer of fats to complete the chewiness factor. Besides the pork, I think the soup base was not as flavourful as I would like it to be. The noodles are springy and the slightly salty bamboo shoots were a good accompaniment to the noodles. 


I was slightly surprised that this place didn't serve hot green tea but water instead. Service was good although it was difficult to catch one of their attention since there was a busy dinner crowd. Food is probably a little overrated, although I would consider it good ramen anyway. However, for those who have easy access to Liang Court, you might want to head over there because I heard that the ramen there is better and they sell the famed cream puffs as well!

Tampopo Restaurant
Takashimaya Shopping Centre
391 Orchard Road
B2-33
Tel: +65 6235 2318

0 comments:

Post a Comment