Sunday, May 27, 2012

忠于原味 (Zhong Yu Yuan Wei Wanton Noodles)

Before you read anything else, I suggest you watch this 8 minute long video on 忠于原味. Unless you are really hungry and can't wait to join the queue. It tells you what meat is used for the char siew, including the meat from the pig's armpit 不见天. There are also two other kinds of meat. 


I didn't know what was good at Tiong Bahru Market so I just joined the longest queue. The other stall which had a really long queue was the stall selling Lor Mee. To get me to the front of the queue, it took me 30 minutes.


Is the wanton noodles really worth queuing up for? Contrary to popular opinion, I don't think it's worth queuing up for 30 minutes. I'm not sure which part of the pig I got because to me, while it was chewy, it wasn't particularly stunning. It's definitely better than the hard kind of char siew though. Everybody raves about the char siew marinate but I felt that it wasn't flavourful enough. Maybe all that waiting made me lose my sense of taste.

I think what really stands out is the noodles- Really bouncy. If you saw the chef cook, you would know why. He boils the noodles in the water, then puts it in cold water, and then puts it back in the hot water, ensuring its QQ quality.


The wantons weren't particularly special but they were good enough. 


At $2.50/$3.50 a bowl, this wanton noodles comes cheap. However, all that time spent queuing up might be a negative factor.

忠于原味 (Zhong Yu Yuan Wei Wanton Noodles)
Tiong Bahru Market
30 Seng Poh Road
#02-30

0 comments:

Post a Comment