Monday, August 1, 2011

Banana Cake

The thing is, there are cooks, and there are good cooks. And then there are the noob cooks. I, unfortunately, fall into the last category. I don't cook if I have the choice, and when I cook, I cook well enough for myself to stay alive.

That's why I'm constantly on the hunt for recipes that are easy to follow, not complicated and totally idiot proof. And the banana cake recipe is a wonderful recipe that falls into this category. I baked it because I had this penchant to buy bananas, thinking I would eat them somehow someday. But somehow I always end up forgetting about the existence of these bananas. And when they are overriped, filled with lots of black spots, the only logical thing to do is- bake a banana cake.

The cake turned out beautifully, with a crispy banana surface, and a moist texture within the cake. I kept it for a few days and it endured a ride from Boston to Martha's Vineyard. In fact, it actually tasted better as the days went on, with the banana taste becoming more accentuated.

The recipe's from bakingmum, unfortunately she no longer blogs.

Adapted recipe

Ingredients
180 gm. Butter
140 gm. sugar
2 large Eggs - beaten lightly
250 gm. Cake flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. Bicarbonate of Soda
2 mashed bananas
50 gm. milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 bananas - slice

Directions
(1) Cream butter and sugar till light and creamy.
(2) Pour in eggs gradually and beat till creamy.
(3) Add in whip cream, mashed bananas and banana essence and mix well.
(4) Add in cake flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and beat them together for a while.
(5) Pour into a round tray, and arrange sliced bananas on top.
(6) Bake at 175C for about 50 to 60 mins. or until cooked.

0 comments:

Post a Comment